Thursday, December 8, 2016

New York Textile Month

Why New York needs Textile Month? 
Lidewij Edelkoort's manifesto answers the question.
There were (and still are) some exhibitions connected with it. The one in Museum of Arts and Design presents Crochet Coral Reef which "fuses mathematics" and "crenelated forms represent hyperbolic geometry" but they are careful not to mention where that idea came from. I guess that was so that they would not need to invite me to the opening of this exhibit. I was in New York City that day. I was invited to participate in another event Talking Textiles where indeed interesting talks about textiles and their role, possibilities, challenges were all day. It was really very inspiring day.


Lidewij Edelkoort in her talk presented a new magazine Talking Textiles.
Lidewij went through the whole magazine in her presentation. And one part of it was about my work which is featured in this magazine.
It was challenging after such high praise to give my talk but I think I managed :-). I was one of the last speakers of the day, so audience was getting a little bit tired that is why some math was just in time. I am also excited that Lidewij Edelkoort will be heading a new interdisciplinary program in Parsons that will explore textiles.
p.s. I am late posting this but right after my talk I had urgently leave for Riga. If you follow me on Facebook, then you know why. Now I am catching up with my blog.


No comments:

Post a Comment